CRS memo confirms:
The "public plan" will spend federal funds
National Right
to Life warns U.S. House
on coming vote
to set up federal abortion-funding program in "public
plan"
WASHINGTON (October 23, 2009) -- The
nation's largest pro-life organization has put members
of the U.S. House of Representatives on notice that it
regards an upcoming procedural vote on the health care
legislation as a vote on whether to establish a
new federal government program that would directly pay
for elective abortions with federal funds.
In
a
"scorecard advisory" letter
sent this week to U.S. House members, the National Right
to Life Committee (NRLC), the federation of
right-to-life organizations in all 50 states, focused on
a key procedural resolution (called "the rule") that the
House must approve before it can take up the massive
health care bill (H.R. 3200). The "rule" will specify
what amendments to the bill, if any, may be
considered on the House floor.
In
a story
transmitted today
(October 23), the Associated Press accurately reported
that the House Democratic leadership currently does not
intend to allow the House to vote on an amendment
sponsored by Congressmen Bart Stupak (D-Mi.) and Joseph
Pitts (R-Pa.), and supported by NRLC, which would, as
the AP reported, "include the Hyde amendment
restrictions in the health overhaul bill."
The AP reported: "Such an amendment
would be almost certain to prevail . . . So Democratic
leaders won't let Stupak offer it. Instead, it appears
they may have to take the risk of letting Stupak try to
block action on the underlying bill, which he intends to
do by assembling 'no' votes on a procedural measure [the
"rule"] that needs to pass before debate can begin."
As approved by Democratic-controlled
House committees, H.R. 3200 contains at least two major
components that implicate abortion policy. It creates a
new program of premium subsidies for health insurance.
The AP
story discusses pro-life objections to allowing those
subsidies to go to private plans that cover elective
abortions. Oddly, however, the AP story does not
mention the other major abortion-related controversy
generated by the bill, which centers on the proposed
"public plan."
NRLC Legislative Director Douglas Johnson
commented: "The
bill explicitly authorizes the public plan, a federal
agency program, to pay for elective abortions.
Democratic leaders, including President Obama, have
claimed that no federal funds would be used to pay for
abortions, but this is a deception, because the public
plan will be a federal agency program that can spend
only federal funds. The federal government would pay
abortion providers for performing elective abortions
-- a sharp break from decades of federal policy."
"The public
plan problem and the premium-subsidy problem are really
separate and distinct -- the bill would need to be
amended to get abortion out of the federal government
plan, even if the premium subsidy program did not
exist,"
Johnson said.
"Recent
polls show strong public opposition to government
funding of abortion and abortion coverage."
NRLC has obtained and today makes
publicly available
a
memorandum
prepared for a Member of Congress by the
nonpartisan Congressional Research Service (CRS), which
confirms all of the monies spent by the public plan
would be federal funds (just as
NRLC has previously
documented)
-- implicitly refuting the claim by Democratic leaders
and President Obama that no "federal funds" would be
used to pay for abortions.
"The claim by
Congressional Democratic leaders that the public plan, a
federal agency program, could pay for abortions with
'private' funds, is a brazen deception -- a political
hoax,"
Johnson said.
"The claim is implausible on its face,
and it collapses if subjected to anything more than the
most superficial scrutiny. But for months,
unfortunately, many journalists have allowed
the Democratic leadership, Obama Administration
officials, and President Obama himself, to get away with
many demonstrably false statements regarding the
abortion-related components of the pending bills."
For example, in recent weeks White House
Press Secretary Robert Gibbs has said several times that
existing law (the Hyde Amendment) would prevent the
programs created by the health bills from funding
abortions. Although this claim, too, is
demonstrably false,
no mainstream news operation or fact-checking operation
has rebuked the White House for these deceptive
statements. Today's AP story does, however, correctly
observe that "the Democrats' health overhaul bill would
create a new stream of federal funding not covered by
the [current abortion] restrictions."
While campaigning for the presidency,
Barack Obama committed to
Planned Parenthood
that he would cover abortion in his health care reform
legislation and in its public plan. "The pending
legislation would establish a federal government program
that would directly fund elective abortions, just as
Obama promised Planned Parenthood," Johnson said.
"President Obama is trying to smuggle into law a federal
abortion-funding program behind smokescreens of
misleading rhetoric and calculated efforts at
misdirection."
NRLC has made available detailed
documentation on the abortion-related components of the
pending health-care bills, including bills approved by
two U.S. Senate committees, on its website at
http://www.nrlc.org/ahc.
NRLC spokespersons Douglas Johnson
(legislative director) and Susan Muskett (senior
legislative counsel) are available for interviews and
debates on the abortion-related components of the
legislation.
The National Right to Life Committee,
the nation’s largest pro-life group, is a federation of
affiliates in all 50 states and 3,000 local chapters
nationwide.