|
NRL News
Page 27
June 2010
Volume 37
Issue 8-9
Judge Slaps Preliminary
Injunction on Obama Embryonic Stem Cell Policy
BY Dave Andrusko
On August 23 Judge Royce C.
Lamberth issued a preliminary injunction to prevent the Obama
Administration from continuing to fund research that requires the
destruction of human embryos.
In his 15-page order,
Lamberth, chief judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of
Columbia, said that it appeared that the Administration’s decision
to fund embryonic stem cell (ESC) research was inconsistent with a
federal law known as the Dickey-Wicker Amendment. The ruling was
preliminary, but the judge ordered the funding to cease while the
case progresses.
NRLC was instrumental in
winning enactment of the Dickey-Wicker Amendment in 1996, and in
successfully defending it against subsequent attempts to weaken or
repeal it.
As NRL News went to press,
the Obama Justice Department said it would appeal Judge Lamberth’s
decision. White House deputy press secretary Bill Burton “said the
administration is exploring all possible avenues ‘to make sure that
we can continue to do this critical lifesaving research,’ but he did
not specify exactly how it will respond,” the Washington Post
reported.
On August 24 the National
Institutes of Health said “it will not award new grants or renew
existing ones for research on human embryonic stem cells after a
federal judge temporarily halted the Obama administration’s
expansion of federal funding for this research,” according to the
Boston Globe. “But scientists who have already received federal
money, including Harvard Stem Cell Institute researchers, can
continue their work on these cells, said Dr. Francis Collins,
director of the NIH. The agency has awarded $131 million this year
for human embryonic stem cell research.”
Predictably, Lamberth’s
decision was greeted with wailing and gnashing of teeth by those
who’ve sold ESC research as an all-purpose medical elixir. In fact,
to date, there are over 70 published studies that show promising
results utilizing morally unobjectionable adult stem cell research
versus none with ESC.
Lamberth, who is widely
respected, flatly refused to accept distinctions offered by the
Obama Administration. He noted that the Dickey-Wicker Amendment very
clearly bans federal funding of “research in which a human embryo or
embryos are destroyed, discarded or knowingly subjected to risk of
injury or death.”
Operationally, the Obama
Administration built a Rube Goldberg contraption which, it argued,
meant its policy was in compliance. Obtaining embryonic stem cells
lines—which required the death of human embryos—would be funded with
private money, not public. The federal dollars would only be used to
conduct subsequent research, the Administration argued.
But Lamberth made short work
of that.
“The
language of the statute reflects the unambiguous intent of Congress
to enact a broad prohibition of funding research in which a human
embryo is destroyed,” he wrote. “Simply because embryonic stem cell
research involves multiple steps does not mean that each step is a
separate ‘piece of research’ that may be federally funded.”
The New York Times
characterization is 100% accurate: “In other words, the neat lines
that the government had drawn between the process of embryonic
destruction and the results of that destruction are not valid, the
judge ruled.”
Lamberth had initially
dismissed the lawsuit on the grounds that plaintiffs did not have
standing. “But the Court of Appeals reversed that ruling last year,
saying the two researchers [Dr. James L. Sherley and Dr. Theresa
Deisher] could be harmed by the new policy since they worked
exclusively with adult stem cells and would face increased
competition for federal financing under the new policy,” the Times
reported. |