Pro-Life News in Brief
By Liz Townsend
Britain's Baby Charlotte Can Receive Treatment
A British judge who ruled last year that disabled baby Charlotte Wyatt may be
denied medical treatment in an emergency reversed his decision October 21.
Doctors will now have to follow her parents' request and resuscitate her if she
loses consciousness, according to The Guardian, although the judge also ruled
that the doctors can stop treatment if they decide it is against Charlotte's
"best interests."
"This is the best birthday present she could ever want, because now Charlotte
can get on with her life," said Charlotte's father Darren Wyatt, according to
the Daily Post. "We haven't got this huge black cloud hanging over us now.'
The new order from High Court Justice Hedley came on Charlotte's second
birthday. Charlotte was born three months premature, according to the Birmingham
Post, and has brain, lung, and kidney damage. She continues to live in St.
Mary's Hospital in Portsmouth.
Before Justice Hedley's October 2004 decision, the hospital asked for a do not
resuscitate order, contending that Charlotte had "no feeling other than
continuing pain," the Liverpool Daily Post reported. The Wyatts appealed, but
Justice Hedley upheld his decision in April 2005. In August 2005, the Court of
Appeals also upheld the ruling, but ordered an urgent medical review of her
case.
Following the appeals court's order, an independent group of experts examined
Charlotte and reported to Justice Hedley that she has made remarkable progress.
"Charlotte undoubtedly has awareness of others around her and now takes pleasure
in the environment around her," the group's report read, according to the Daily
Mail. "She is painfree, comfortable and has emerging social attachments to her
parents and key staff members.
"She is clearly more robust and no longer the 'very sick baby' who was
previously described, although she remains dependent on oxygen and vulnerable to
respiratory infections. We believe she is now stable enough to begin to spend
periods of time in the care of her parents, within hospital grounds and at
home."
The family said they hope Charlotte will be able to leave the hospital and live
with them at home by next March, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Study Finds Link between Abuse and Abortion
A study published in the August issue of the Australian Journal of Obstetrics
and Gynaecology found that 50.8% of women at a New Zealand abortion clinic had
been physically abused.
Study authors Dr Anna Whitehead of the Waikato District Health Board and Dr
Janet Fanslow of Auckland University interviewed 62 women at a Health Waikato
abortion clinic. The women were asked, "Have you been hit, slapped, or otherwise
physically hurt by someone?" and "Have you been pressured or forced to have
sex?"
Over 43% of the women reported physical abuse sometime during their lifetime,
while 32.2% said they had a previous history of sexual abuse. Women also
reported abuse within 12 months before their abortions, with 13% saying they had
been physically abused recently and 8.5% reporting recent sexual abuse,
according to the New Zealand Herald. One woman told researchers that her aborted
pregnancy was the result of sexual abuse.
To compare to the wider population, the Herald reported that a larger study
found rates of between 33-39% of abuse in women's lifetimes, with 5% reporting
abuse within the last year.
"The study demonstrated a high prevalence of family violence amongst women
attending an abortion clinic," Whitehead and Fanslow wrote in their conclusion.
"Consideration should be given to screening for family violence in abortion
clinics in New Zealand. Screening should be accompanied by the provision of
appropriate information and support for women with family violence issues."
Interstate Batteries and Care Net Raise Funds for Pregnancy Centers
Care Net, a pregnancy support network, and Interstate Batteries are working
together on a fundraising campaign to support pregnancy help centers in North
America.
The campaign began at the October 23 NASCAR race in Martinsville, Virginia,
where the Interstate Batteries car prominently featured the Care Net logo. More
than 50% of Interstate Batteries sales during the campaign will be donated to
Care Net centers.
"Interstate Batteries is a great role model for companies seeking to make a
difference in local communities," Care Net President Kurt Entsminger said in a
press release. "Thousands of women will be helped as a result of the 'Charged
for Life' campaign. At Care Net pregnancy centers, we believe that people make
positive life decisions when they are empowered with information and know that
they are not alone. We thank Interstate Batteries for its generous partnership
in helping to support our mission."
Care Net is made up of more than 900 pregnancy centers in the United States and
Canada. "These centers offer such services as free pregnancy tests, ultrasounds,
peer counseling services, post-abortion support, and other practical, emotional,
and spiritual help to empower women and men facing pregnancy related concerns,"
according to the Care Net web site.
Along with Heartbeat International, Care Net also operates the national 24-hour
Option Line (800-395-HELP), which connects women seeking pregnancy help to
resources in their local areas.
For more information, visit www.care-net.org or order batteries at
interstatebatteries.com and enter "Carenet" in the coupon code.