French Court Extends "Wrongful
Birth" Ruling to Down Syndrome
By Liz Townsend
Broadening
an earlier decision that awarded damages for the birth of a disabled child,
France's highest court ruled November 28 that a doctor should be held
responsible for neglecting to diagnose an unborn baby's Down syndrome. The Cour
de Cassation held that the mother should have had the opportunity to abort him
if she had known he had the condition.
Many in France immediately condemned the decision and the judges' declaration
that the child, known as Lionel, was "unlucky to be born," according
to The Observer. Children with disabilities gathered with their families
on the steps of the Cour de Cassation soon after the ruling was announced, The
Observer reported, demonstrating against the court's decision with the
slogan, "We are wanted and we are loved."
"I think with great sadness of all families who have welcomed Down syndrome
children, who have showered them with love and received great love in
return," Andre Vingt-Trois, Catholic bishop of Tours, told the Christian
Science Monitor. "This ruling amounts to a declaration that such love
was worthless."
The decision is the second recent ruling by the court allowing so-called
"wrongful birth" lawsuits. In July 2001, the court ordered a
laboratory and a doctor to pay Nicolas Perruche because he was born with birth
defects caused by his mother's undiagnosed case of German measles. His mother
testified that she would have had an abortion if she knew she had the disease.
Lionel was born in 1995 with Down syndrome, according to the Monitor. His
mother sued her doctor after her son's birth, arguing that "she would have
aborted if she had been given a correct prenatal diagnosis," the Monitor
reported.
The judges ruled that the doctor was "100 percent" liable for the
costs of Lionel's care, since the boy would not have been born if the mother
knew her child had Down syndrome. The court will announce the amount of damages,
which could exceed $100,000, in late January.
The court's decisions have created an uproar in France. "Certain judges
still believe that it is better to be dead than to be handicapped," Xavier
Mirabel of the Collective against Handiphobia told the Monitor. The
disability rights group has filed its own lawsuit trying to overturn the
Perruche ruling.
A French physicians' group warned that even more lawsuits holding doctors
responsible for the births of children with disabilities could be filed.
"The growing number of lawsuits will have a serious effect on the actions
of foetal specialists, who are already badly discouraged," the National
Order of Doctors said in a statement, according to Agence France-Presse.
"They will cease to recommend tests on pregnant women that are not
obligatory. Most often, they will suggest at the smallest doubt the termination
of the pregnancy."
French government officials tried to steer a course between both sides of the
issue. Health Minister Bernard Kouchner told the Monitor that he is
"perplexed" by the case, and stressed the "value of every
life." However, he added, "Nobody should question a doctor's medical
responsibilities towards a mother, any harm done to her as a result of medical
negligence, or challenge her right to have an abortion."
Disability rights groups insisted that prejudice against people with Down
syndrome and other conditions is common in France, and the government has not
done its part to care for these vulnerable people. The Collective against
Handiphobia's Mirabel told the Monitor that 85% of disabled children in
northern France are sent to Belgium for school because the French system is
unable to help them.
And children with Down syndrome, a nonlethal genetic condition, suffer the same
prejudice. Willemijn Forest told the Monitor that when her baby boy,
already diagnosed with the syndrome, was born, doctors at first kept the baby
from his mother.
"After the delivery, they took him away immediately, assuming I did not
want to see him anymore," Forest said. "I said of course I want to
keep him. I was so appalled by their attitude."