Abortionist Pleads Guilty
to Involuntary Manslaughter, Given Short Sentence
Part Three of Three
By Dave Andrusko
 |
|
Abortionist Rapin
Osathanondh is led out of Barnstable Superior Court in
handcuffs after pleading guilty to involuntary
manslaughter charges in connection with the 2007 death
of Laura Hope Smith. |
Abortionist Rapin
Osathanondh was sentenced to six months in jail Monday after a
plea bargain allowed him to escape a possible sentence of 20
years for the 2007 death of Laura Hope Smith. Miss Smith was 13
weeks pregnant at the time of her death at the Women's Health
Center in Hyannis, Massachusetts.
Osathanondh, whose license
was revoked in 2010 by The Massachusetts Board of Registration
in Medicine and who is barred from practicing medicine in
Massachusetts, pled guilty to involuntary manslaughter.
"Investigators discovered
that the doctor's office lacked basic resuscitation equipment,
that he was not certified for cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and
that he failed to monitor her vital signs," the Boston Globe
reported. "Authorities also said he took great measure to
conceal those facts, going as far as creating false CPR cards,
remodeling his office, and buying the necessary equipment such
as a defibrillator. When investigators arrived at his office, he
told them that it was as it had been when Smith died."
Osathanondh was sentenced
to 2 1/2 years imprisonment, "but with only six months to serve
in the Barnstable County House of Correction," the Boston Herald
reported. "He will be eligible for parole after serving three
months. Upon his release, Osathanondh must serve nine months of
home confinement."
The Board of Registration
in Medicine alleged that Osathanondh "had placed Smith under
sedation without any means to monitor her heart rate, blood
pressure, or the oxygen level of her blood," according to the
Herald. In addition to not having a qualified person to assist
him while Smith was under anesthesia, the Board also said that
Osathanondh "failed to timely initiate a call to 911, failed to
maintain an adequate airway,'' and "failed to adhere to basic
cardiac life support protocol.''
In the part of the victim
impact statements, Tom Smith, Laura's father, turned to
Osathanondh and said, "You, sir, destroyed a precious flower
that grew in our lives." The Globe reported that "the Smith
family painted an emotionally powerful image of the 22-year-old
woman who came into their lives when she was 4 1/2 years old. At
the time, she had a black eye, had a dirty face – and had been
brought to the Smiths from Honduras."
For more on this story,
see "Mother Turns Grief into Passion for Life,"
www.nrlc.org/news/2008/NRL05/Grief.html.
Please send your comments
on Today's News & Views and National Right to Life News Today
todaveandrusko@gmail.com. If you like, join those who are
following me on Twitter at
http://twitter.com/daveha
Part One
Part Two |