|
“Baby Joseph” Arrives at
Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center
By Dave Andrusko
Thirteen-month-old
Canadian Baby Joseph Maraachli, the focal point of an
international debate, arrived Sunday at Cardinal Glennon
Children's Medical Center in St. Louis, Missouri, where doctors
will examine his condition and determine what, if anything, they
can do for the child. The airlift came hours before the hospital
was scheduled to remove the baby from a ventilator.
Although the legal
wrangling has gone on for months, “Baby Joseph’s” exact
condition is unclear other than that it is a severe neurological
disease. What is clear is that London Health Sciences Centre, in
Ontario, Canada said the decision to airlift the baby was done
“despite the strongest possible medical advice to the contrary.”
"Our doctors are in the
process of evaluating him and forming a treatment plan," Mary
Aita, spokesperson for the hospital, said this morning. "We
don't turn anyone away.”
Later in the day another
hospital spokesman told reporters that Baby Joseph was being
examined by Dr. Robert Wilmott, the hospital's chief of
pediatrics.
According to CNN, “A team
of physicians will formulate a treatment plan and provide an
update on what's next for the child in a news conference Tuesday
morning, Davidson said.”
The hospital and Baby
Joseph’s parents, Moe and Sana Maraachli, have been at
loggerheads for months.
The hospital maintains the
baby has a progressive and fatal neurodegenerative disease. Baby
Joseph is on a ventilator, and the parents wanted the hospital
to perform “a tracheotomy with continued mechanical ventilation
so that he could be transferred home, where he would be cared
for by his family,” CNN reported. The hospital refused, saying
this would be invasive treatment and futile.
The tragic irony is that
their baby daughter Zina had a similar condition eight years
ago. In that instance doctors did perform a tracheotomy. She
lived for six months after the family took her home, according
to the child’s aunt.
Baby Joseph had been at
London Children’s Hospital since last October. When parents and
the hospital disagreed over treatment, the dispute was at taken
to Ontario’s Consent and Capacity board. The board concluded
that the ‘removal of the endotracheal tube without replacement,
a Do Not Resuscitate order and palliative care’ was in the
baby’s “best interests.”The parents appealed.
On February 17 Ontario
Superior Court Justice Helen Rady backing the doctors’ decision.
“Justice Rady’s decision was based on doctors’ testimony that he
is in a permanent vegetative state with no brain stem reflex,”
according to the Canadian pro-life organization Lifesite.com.
“But the family has contested that claim, pointing to footage
showing him flailing and reacting to tickling.”
Mr. Maraachli, were joined
in the flight by Fr. Frank Pavone, national director of Priests
for Life. "I knew, after this dragged on day after day, that I
needed to be here myself to get Baby Joseph to safety," Father
Pavone said in a statement. "If there is a chance this boy can
live, we have to explore every option,” he said, adding “He
needs to be in a hospital that cherishes life.”
I need your feedback on
both Today's News & Views and National Right to Life News Today.
Please send your comments to
daveandrusko@gmail.com.
If you like, join those who are following me on Twitter at
http://twitter.com/daveha.
Part Four
Part One
Part Two |