Enabling “Gosnell to
operate in the manner that killed Ms. Shaw, Mrs. Mongar, and
untold numbers of babies”
Editor’s note. Abortionist Kermit Gosnell is charged with
eight counts of murder and was arraigned last week. Also last
week we began the pivotally important section from the Grand
Jury’s 261-page investigation of Gosnell’s shop of horrors: “How
Did This Go On So Long?” We begin with the first paragraph of
Section VI, which places the question in context.
The callous killing of babies outside the womb, the routinely
performed third trimester abortions, the deaths of at least two
patients, and the grievous health risks inflicted on countless
other women by Gosnell and his unlicensed staff are not the only
shocking things that this Grand Jury investigation uncovered.
What surprised the jurors even more is the official neglect that
allowed these crimes and conditions to persist for years in a
Philadelphia medical facility. …
Not even Karnamaya Mongar’s death triggered an inspection or
investigation.
On November 24, 2009, Gosnell sent a fax to the department,
followed by a letter addressed to [Janice] Staloski, notifying
DOH [Department of Health] that Karnamaya Mongar had died
following an abortion at his clinic. (Gosnell’s letter
inaccurately stated that the second day of her procedure was
November 18.) Darlene Augustine, a registered nurse and health
quality administrator in the department’s Division of Home
Health, received the fax. Augustine, who supervises surveyors
who respond to and investigate complaints at health care
facilities, testified that she immediately notified her boss,
Cynthia Boyne. (Boyne had become director of DOH’s Division of
Home Health in 2007, when Staloski was promoted to head the
Bureau of Community Licensure and Certification.) Augustine said
that she told Boyne on November 25 that DOH should immediately
go out to the clinic and initiate an investigation. Augustine
acknowledged that she generally had the authority to send
surveyors out to investigate – and she often did so within an
hour of receiving a notice of a serious event such as a death.
She testified, however, that she felt she needed Director
Boyne’s approval because Gosnell’s notice involved an abortion
clinic.
Boyne did not give her approval. Instead, she went to the bureau
director, Staloski, to discuss the matter. Augustine explained
that abortion clinics were treated differently from other
medical facilities because Staloski had for years overseen the
department’s handling of complaints and inspections – or lack of
inspections – relating to abortion clinics. Staloski, according
to Augustine, was “the ultimate decision-maker” with respect to
whether DOH would conduct an inspection or investigation.
Augustine testified that neither Boyne nor Staloski ever gave
her approval to conduct the investigation that she thought was
appropriate.
Boyne blamed Staloski. She said that her boss told her that DOH
did not have the authority to investigate Mrs. Mongar’s death.
Staloski apparently reached this decision on her own, without
ever consulting [DOH Senior Counsel Kenneth] Brody, the legal
counsel. Staloski, according to Boyne, was only interested in
making sure that Gosnell filed an on-line report in accordance
with a 2002 law, the Medical Care Availability and Reduction of
Error (MCARE) Act. That law requires health care facilities to
report serious events, including deaths to DOH. 40 P.S. §313.
Staloski’s plan, Boyne said, was to then charge Gosnell with
failing to file the report in a timely and proper manner. This
is absurd, and Boyne should not have accepted such a ridiculous
idea. Gosnell had reported Mrs. Mongar’s death to DOH on
November 24, 2009. While this was three or four days late, and
the notification came by fax and letter rather than computer, it
is preposterous to think that Staloski, who had ignored two
deaths and other serious injuries at the clinic, would take
action against a doctor for filing a report three days late.
Staloski was absolutely wrong about DOH’s lack of authority to
investigate Mrs. Mongar’s death.
Appallingly, the chief counsel for the department of health,
Christine Dutton, defended Staloski’s inaction following Mrs.
Mongar’s death. Dutton testified that she had reviewed the
emails and documents showing that Staloski and her staff were
communicating with Gosnell’s office to get him to file the MCARE
form. Based on these very minimal efforts, Dutton insisted: “we
were responsive.” Pushed as to whether the death of a woman
following an abortion should have prompted more action – perhaps
an investigation or a report to law enforcement – Dutton argued
there was no reason to think the death was suspicious. “People
die,” she said.
Not only was a probe into Mrs. Mongar’s death authorized and
appropriate under the [Pennsylvania state] Abortion Control Act,
it was required under the MCARE law. 40 P.S. §306. Yet DOH did
not investigate. Staloski told the Grand Jury that she
remembered reviewing with Boyne the letter in which Gosnell
notified DOH of Mrs. Mongar’s death. Staloski said that it was
really Boyne’s responsibility to order an investigation, but
acknowledged that she, as the bureau director, also failed to do
so. Instead of conducting an investigation, Staloski and Boyne
concerned themselves with badgering Gosnell to re-notify them of
Mrs. Mongar’s death. Bureau Director Staloski, in fact, readily
acknowledged many deficiencies in DOH’s, and her own, oversight
of abortion facilities. But her dismissive demeanor indicated to
us that she did not really understand – or care about – the
devastating impact that the department’s neglect had had on the
women whom Gosnell treated in his filthy, dangerous clinic.
Staloski excused the DOH practices that enabled Gosnell to
operate in the manner that killed Ms. Shaw, Mrs. Mongar, and
untold numbers of babies. She simply said the abortion
regulations – written by DOH – do not require DOH to inspect
abortion clinics. When DOH inspectors finally entered Gosnell’s
clinic in February 2010, not at Staloski’s direction but at the
urging of law enforcement, Staloski seemed more annoyed than
appalled or embarrassed. On the morning after the raid, she
received a copy of an email that Boyne wrote to Brody the night
of the raid. Boyne reported to the department’s senior counsel
that, at 12:45 a.m., she had told the Department of Health staff
members at the clinic to “wrap it up and secure lodging in the
interest of their safety.” Boyne told Brody that the “staff
walked into a very difficult setup.” She complained that a
representative of the District Attorney’s Office was “badgering”
DOH staff to shut down the facility immediately. Boyne was
seeking Brody’s legal guidance.
Staloski’s response to Boyne’s email was: “I’d say we were
used.” Boyne’s reply: “Bingo.” Staloksi, the woman most directly
responsible for the department’s oversight of abortion
facilities, told the Grand Jury: “I haven’t been in any
facilities in probably – in an abortion facility in many, many
years.” The citizens of Pennsylvania deserve far better from
those charged with protecting public health and safety.
I need your feedback on both Today's News & Views and
National Right to Life News Today. Please send your comments to
daveandrusko@gmail.com.
If you like, join those who are following me on Twitter at
http://twitter.com/daveha.
Part Four
Part One
Part Two |
|