NIH
Loosens Limitations on the Use of Embryonic Stem
Cells
Part Two of TwoBy
Dave Andrusko
"With more than $10 billion in
stimulus money, health institute officials have
been eager to expand stem cell research. Just 21
stem cell lines have been eligible for federal
financing under the old rules. But researchers
using private money have created more than 700
stem cell lines. "
From "Rules Will Allow Financing for Old Stem Cell
Lines," which ran in this morning's New York
Times.
Yesterday, the National
Institutes of Health (NIH) issued final rules
that expand the use of your tax dollars and mine
to lethally extract stem cells from human
embryos. The results, while predictable, are
nonetheless deeply disappointing.
Back in March pro-abortion
President Barack Obama overturned the carefully
crafted policy on embryonic stem cells
instituted by pro-life President George W. Bush.
As both cover and a lever to pry open the
federal treasury box, Obama also promulgated a
"presidential memorandum" that promises to make
research on human embryos using federal dollars
squeaky clean.
On Monday we began to see what
this rhetoric would mean in practice. The
two-fold question was how the federal government
would fund cell lines created beginning today
and whether cell lines created previously (but
ineligible for federal funding under the Bush
guidelines) would now make the cut.
For now--and I emphasize the
word now--the target remain so-called "left
over" or "excess" embryos from fertility
clinics. Nobody who has reached the age of
maturity believes that researchers will stop
there. They are eager to create human embryos,
by cloning and other methods.
In that light, there are these
comments from Time magazine's account:
 |
|
Acting NIH Director Dr. Raynard
S.Kington |
"[Acting NIH director Dr.
Raynard S.] Kington said that the NIH would
continue to review its guidelines for funding
eligibility -- in particular, regarding cell
lines derived from embryos created outside the
IVF process. 'We know there is strong sentiment
in this country for supporting federal funding
of research involving cell lines from embryos
created for reproductive purposes that otherwise
would be destroyed,' said Kington. 'We don't
believe there has been public discussion yet of
the ethical guidelines regarding alternative
sources of embryonic stem cells. We will
reconsider the guidelines as science evolves,
and as the public discussion over the ethical
principles evolves.'"
The reporter added, "If the
speed with which stem-cell advances in recent
years have been made is any indication, those
revisions may be on the horizon very soon."
Can't say we haven't been warned!
We are assured that the
guidelines go the extra mile to make certain
that parents are fully informed before they give
consent to allow their "excess" embryos to be
sliced and diced. It's not quite that simple,
however.
For example, under the draft
guidelines, parents being asked to donate
embryos for destructive research had to be told
of all other options. But in the final
guidelines issued yesterday, they only have to
be told of all other options that happen to be
available at that particular clinic! The number
of "other options" offered could even be zero,
and that is still fine.
How about the older cell lines
that had been ineligible for federal funding?
Read this, from this morning's New York Times:
"Scientists using stem cell
lines created before Tuesday may seek review by
a group of the Advisory Committee to the
Director. If the lines were created under
conditions that met the spirit but not the
letter of the new rules, they will be approved,
Kington said in a telebriefing with reporters.
"'Many of the lines already in
existence may have met very rigorous standards
of informed consent but may have been
implemented in ways not consistent with the
present guidelines,' Dr. Kington said. 'It's
unreasonable to retroactively apply procedures
intended for future use.'"
This is an all-purpose escape
clause that allows the Advisory Committee to
approve any and all applications, including
those from abroad. The human embryos there may
well have been secured under very different
circumstances.
NIH said it had reviewed
49,000 comments from the public before
finalizing the rules, which take effect today.
This is third-hand information, but I was
informed that Kington told reporters that 30,000
of the responses were against funding of human
embryonic stem cell research.
Please send your thoughts to
daveandrusko@gmail.com.
Part One |