Judge Slaps Preliminary
Injunction on Obama Embryonic Stem Cell Policy
Part One of Three
By Dave Andrusko
Good evening and thanks
for reading--and responding to--TN&V and National Right to Life
News Today. Part Two sheds
light on the murky practice of "Telemedical" abortions. Over at
www.nationalrighttolifenews.org, we unpack the decline of
pro-abortion President Barack Obama and offer further
illustrations of how adult stem cells are making a real
difference in people's lives. Please send your comments on
Today's News & Views and National Right to Life News Today to
daveandrusko@gmail.com.
If you like, join those who are following me on Twitter at
http://twitter.com/daveha.
 |
|
Royce C. Lamberth, Chief Judge of the U.S. District
Court for the District of Columbia |
A federal district judge
has issued a preliminary injunction to prevent the Obama
Administration from continuing to fund research that requires
the destruction of human embryos.
In his August 23 order,
Royce C. Lamberth, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for
the District of Columbia, said that it appeared that the
Administration's decision to fund embryonic stem cell (ESC)
research was inconsistent with a federal law known as the
Dickey-Wicker Amendment. The ruling was preliminary, but the
judge ordered the funding to cease while the case progresses.
Predictably, the decision
was greeted with wailing and gnashing of teeth by those who've
sold embryonic stem cell (ESC) research as an all-purpose
medical elixir [https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2009cv1575-44].
In fact, to date, there are over 70 published studies that show
promising results utilizing morally unobjectionable adult stem
cell research versus none with ESC.
Lamberth's 15-page
decision was closely reasoned and flatly refused to accept
distinctions offered by the Obama Administration.
Lamberth noted that the
Dickey-Wicker Amendment very clearly bans federal funding of
"research in which a human embryo or embryos are destroyed,
discarded or knowingly subjected to risk of injury or death."
Operationally, the Obama
Administration built a Rube Goldberg contraption which, it
argued, meant its policy was in compliance. Obtaining embryonic
stem cells lines--which required the death of human
embryos--would be funded with private money, not public. The
federal dollars would only be used to conduct subsequent
research, the Administration argued.
Lamberth made short work
of that.
"The language of the
statute reflects the unambiguous intent of Congress to enact a
broad prohibition of funding research in which a human embryo is
destroyed," he wrote. "Simply because embryonic stem cell
research involves multiple steps does not mean that each step is
a separate 'piece of research' that may be federally funded."
Surprisingly, the New York
Times characterization is 100% accurate: "In other words, the
neat lines that the government had drawn between the process of
embryonic destruction and the results of that destruction are
not valid, the judge ruled."
Lamberth had initially
dismissed the lawsuit on the grounds that plaintiffs did not
have standing. "But the Court of Appeals reversed that ruling
last year, saying the two researchers [Dr. Sherley and Dr.
Deisher] could be harmed by the new policy since they worked
exclusively with adult stem cells and would face increased
competition for federal financing under the new policy," the
Times reported.
Yesterday, a Justice
Department spokeswoman said only that "we're reviewing the
decision."
Part Two
Part Three |