Efforts Revived to Fund "Family
Planning" Clinics in
New Jersey with State Money
By Randall K. O'Bannon, Ph.D.
 |
|
Pro-Life Governor Chris Christie |
If you expected the supporters of
Planned Parenthood to pack up and go home once their efforts to
restore "family planning" funding to New Jersey's state budget
were defeated, you have seriously underestimated their resolve.
They're back again, pushing New Jersey's pro-life governor Chris
Christie (R) to restore the funding. The Philadelphia Inquirer
reported yesterday that Democrats say that they've found
$5million unspent dollars in last year's state budget--money
that was originally supposed to go for county correctional
facilities.
As reported by National Right to
Life News Today, on October 7, 2010, Gov. Christie left $7.5
million in "family planning" funds out of the state budget he
proposed in March of 2010, the first since his election in 2009.
Despite vociferous protests and pleadings from the family
planning industry and their allies in the press, Christie
persisted. He said, "I don't believe that is a priority in a
budget where you have to cut $11 billion" (Gloucester County
Times 6/25/10).
The legislature voted to restore
the funding in June, saying they had found unused funds in an
employee prescription drug program. But Republicans countered
that this would have actually resulted in a $5.6 million deficit
in the program (Courier-Post, 9/17/10). Ultimately, in
September, enough Republicans switched sides to defeat the
legislature's effort to override the governor's veto of their
refunding (Associated Press, 9/20/10).
Democrat leaders said then that
they were looking for other sources of funding in the state
budget. One specifically mentioned that she was looking at money
set aside to pay counties to house certain prisoners (Associated
Press, 9/20/10).
That effort was formally revived
on Monday with the decision of the Assembly Appropriations
Committee to forward a bill to the New Jersey Assembly shifting
$5million in unspent funds from the state's allocation for
county correctional facilities to family planning centers, the
Inquirer reported.
Michelle Jaker, executive
director of the Family Planning Association of New Jersey told
the committee, at least three clinics had already closed, the
Inquirer reported. "Unless we take action today, more agencies
will announce more closures, layoffs, and hour reductions by the
end of the year."
Though no state funds are
supposed to go for abortion, pro-lifers have long made the case
that such funding helps keep many of these clinics, which often
do abortions, in business by helping to cover salaries, office
equipment, and rent, as well as helping legitimate them in the
eyes of the public.
Along with that bill, the
committee approved and forwarded a bill directing the state to
apply for expanded Medicaid coverage of family planning from the
Federal government.
Please send your comments on
Today's News & Views and National Right to Life News Today to
daveandrusko@gmail.com.
If you like, join those who are following me on Twitter at
http://twitter.com/daveha.
|