|
Pro-Abortion Senator Conrad
Announces He Will Not Seek Re-election in 2012
By Dave Andrusko
 |
Pro-abortion Sen. Kent Conrad (D-ND)
|
Pro-abortion Senator Kent Conrad
(D-ND) became the second senator in less than a week to announce
that they would not seek re-election in 2012. On Friday Sen. Kay
Bailey Hutchinson (R-Tx.), whose record on abortion was mixed,
said she would not seek a fourth term. Conrad was first elected
to the Senate in 1986.
Whereas Texas is an uphill fight
for Democrats--1990 was the last time they won a major statewide
race--last November Republicans swept both the Senate race and
North Dakota's only congressional seat.
In a statement released this
morning, Conrad, chairman of the Budget Committee, said he would
use his remaining time in office to focus on reducing the $14
trillion dollar national debt.
There are 33 seats up for grabs
in 2012: 23Democrats, which includes two Democratic-leaning
independents, and 10 Republicans. Currently Democrats hold a
53-47 advantage in the Senate.
"Conrad was considered very
vulnerable in 2012, but he represented the Democrats best shot
at holding on to the seat," the National Journal reported.
"Without him in the race, Republicans -- who made significant
gains in North Dakota last year -- start the 2012 cycle with
significant advantage."
Please send your comments on
Today's News & Views and National Right to Life News Today to
daveandrusko@gmail.com.
If you like, join those who are following me on Twitter at
http://twitter.com/daveha.
|